After a year in hiatus, REP Here In Canada announces the 2nd annual REP Youth Award to highlight the community achievements of newcomer, immigrant, Indigenous, and Canadian-born youth with historical and/or current barriers to equity who are building bridges across diverse communities. This award will not only recognize recent achievements, but also the efforts made during the pandemic from 2020 to date.
The REP Youth Award stands for Representation, Engagement, and Participation and will annually recognize the unique leadership, in a Gala Awards ceremony, of one newcomer, immigrant, Indigenous, or Canadian-born youth with historical and/or current barriers to equity aged 16-24 who exemplifies the principles of REP as follows:
- Encouraging equitable representation in social, civic, and educational spaces
- Creating spaces for the sharing of perspectives and experiences of underrepresented communities
- Amplifying underrepresented voices in personal networks and digital media
- Demonstrating leadership in building relationships across cultures in virtual and in-person settings
- Welcoming and connecting newcomers, refugees, and immigrants to their adopted community
- Supporting peers with barriers to belonging
- Actively involved in raising awareness of the challenges of racialized communities in virtual and in-person settings
- Contributing to dialogues that support a community of inclusion in virtual and in-person settings
- Challenging misinformation and racism on digital platforms
Nominate someone or submit a self-nomination with a written (1000 words maximum) or video submission (5 minutes maximum) describing why you or the nominee exemplifies the principles of REP Youth Award categories. Please give specific examples of activities, and describe any barriers or challenges you have experienced in undertaking your activities in the community.
The deadline for self- or third party nomination is October 10th, 2022 at 11:59 pm. Open to all self-identifying newcomer, immigrant, Indigenous, or Canadian-born youth with historical and/or current barriers to equity. Nominations will be reviewed by a Selection Committee. Short-listed nominees will be notified by October 17th, 2022. The winner will be announced at Here Magazine’s annual Better Together Gala during the 2022 REP Youth Award Ceremony at the Belfry Theatre on October 22, 2022. The winner will receive a specially-designed trophy and a $500 bursary.
Submissions via email only to Kaye Abellana at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: REP YOUTH AWARD NOMINATION. Submissions can be in any language or bilingual. For large video files, please send via YouTube, Dropbox, or Google Drive link.
- Self-identifying newcomer, immigrant, Indigenous, or Canadian-born youth with historical and/or current barriers to equity
- Aged 16-24
- Must be able to attend Awards Ceremony on October 22, 2022
- Must live in Greater Victoria region
- Must be willing to be photographed and/or recorded at Awards Ceremony
Note: Content of submissions or excerpts may be used for news materials, promotional materials, on the web and other properties.
The 2020 REP Youth Award Winner was Yamila Franco, co-founder of sustainable biotechnology company Nyoka Labs and winner of the regional and national 2020 Startup Canada Canada Export Challenge. Ms. Franco was awarded the REP Youth Award for her leadership, advocacy, and anti-racism work in the community.