The REP Youth Award stands for Representation, Engagement, and Participation and will annually recognize the unique leadership, in a Gala Awards ceremony, of one newcomer, immigrant, Indigenous, or Canadian-born BIPOC youth aged 16-24 who exemplifies the principles of REP as follows:
- Encouraging equitable representation in social, civic, and educational spaces
- Creating spaces for the sharing of perspectives and experiences of underrepresented communities
- Amplifying underrepresented voices in personal networks and digital media
- Demonstrating leadership in building relationships across cultures
- Welcoming and connecting newcomers, refugees, and immigrants to their adopted community
- Supporting peers with barriers to belonging
- Actively involved in raising awareness of the challenges of racialized communities
- Contributing to dialogues that support a community of inclusion
- Challenging misinformation and racism on digital platforms
Nominate someone or submit a self-nomination with a written (1000 words maximum) or video submission (5 minutes maximum) describing why you or the nominee exemplifies the principles of REP Youth Award categories. Please give specific examples of activities, and describe any barriers or challenges you have experienced in undertaking your activities in the community.
The deadline for self- or third party nomination is December 18, 2019 at 11:59 pm. Open to all self-identifying newcomer, immigrant, Indigenous, and Canadian-born BIPOC youth, aged 16-24. Nominations will be reviewed by a Selection Committee. Short-listed nominees will be notified by December 24, 2019. Winner will be announced at the Better Together Gala on January 11, 2020. Short-listed nominees must be able to attend Gala. Short-listed nominees will receive a Gala ticket and exclusive swag bag. The winner will, in addition, receive a specially-designed trophy and a $500 bursary sponsored by the Construction Foundation of British Columbia.
Submissions via email only to Avie Olarte at email@example.com with the subject heading: REP YOUTH AWARD NOMINATION. Submissions can be in any language or bilingual. For large video files, please send via YouTube, Dropbox, or Google Drive link.
- Self-identifying newcomer, immigrant, Indigenous, or Canadian-born BIPOC youth
- Aged 16-24
- Must be able to attend Gala on January 11, 2020
- Must live in Greater Victoria region
- Must be willing to be photographed and/or recorded at Gala event
- If short-listed, must be willing to participate on heremagazine.ca platform for voting campaign
Note: Content of submissions or excerpts may be used for news materials, promotional materials, on the web and other properties.