Our parent organization, REP Here In Canada, is a British Columbia-based not-for-profit organization whose members are dedicated to helping newcomers, immigrants, and those with historical and/or current barriers to equity be equitably represented in multimedia and enjoy full and meaningful social, civic, and economic participation through community programming and events. Find out more on our organization site: rephere.ca
Here Magazine, one of our program areas, is an award-winning multimedia platform by, for, and with newcomers and immigrants to Canada. We believe that lived-experience storytelling, meaningful cultural exchange, and education are key to growing empathy and building bridges of understanding. By amplifying newcomer voices and experiences and welcoming people from all cultural backgrounds, Here Magazine has established itself as a positive messaging platform celebrating the Canadian multicultural mosaic, diversity, and inclusive communities.
- to give newcomers, immigrants, and those with historical and/or current barriers to equity the opportunity to see themselves and their experiences reflected in the media
- to develop language skills and cultural and digital literacies in newcomer communities
- to grow intercultural awareness by sharing the norms, traditions, and stories of all cultures
- to introduce newcomers to their adopted communities and improve social, civic, and labour market participation
- to support relationship-building and cultural exchange between newcomer and Indigenous communities