We are a Victoria, British Columbia-based not-for-profit organization whose members are dedicated to helping newcomers transition into their adopted communities through cultural literacy education, language development, community mentorship, and cultural exchange.
Here Magazine is multimedia platform by, for, and with newcomers to Canada. We believe that lived-experience storytelling, meaningful cultural exchange, and education are key to growing empathy and building bridges of understanding. By amplifying newcomer voices and experiences and welcoming people from all cultural backgrounds, Here Magazine has established itself as a positive messaging platform celebrating the Canadian multicultural mosaic, diversity, and inclusive communities.
- to give newcomers the opportunity to see themselves and their newcomer experiences reflected in the media
- to develop language skills, and cultural and digital literacies in newcomer communities
- to grow intercultural awareness by sharing the norms, traditions and stories of all cultures
- to introduce newcomers to their adopted communities and accessible opportunities
- to exchange, engage, and empower through community mentorship and the sharing of experience